Monday, February 24, 2014

Lübeck

Dear Everybody,
   I was recently transferred to Lübeck up in the northern reaches of Germany where it borders the sea. It was a wonderful three hour train ride into Hamburg and then another hour before I finally arrived at the scenic city of Lübeck which like Potsdam and Berlin, is older than old. Lübeck is famous for the Holstentor, the city's famous landmark and marzipan. (Unfortunately, I do not like marzipan.)
   Differences: I am now in former West Germany instead of the former East. The differences are not as noticeable as they were some years ago, but some differences persist. Not all of them have to do with the regional differences between East and West, so I will not attribute these differences to one fact or another. There are also differences due to the regional shift from far to  north and the shift out of the Berlin area. The first is that things are more expensive here. Döners are not nearly as good as they are in the Berlin area. Plus side: Less Berlinerish. I would say almost none, but some of the members come originally from Berlin, so it is still here. There is also a west/east, far north/mid north speaking difference. The most common greeting here is Moin. I personally think it is dumb, but some missionaries really like it. The word witzig is used instead of the word lustig. (They mean the same thing. It is like the difference between funny and humorous.) There is a lot of available seafood since we are on the coast. The temperature is overall warmer because of the humidity. The filler word wohl is used.
 Other differences: I am in a two man apartment instead of having four Elders. This means that it is a lot quieter. There is also no dryer. My new companion is Elder Bingham from Texas. I am serving in an actual ward instead of just a branch. There are close to seventy active members. Most terrible of all... Sisters. Lübeck has sisters. Dun dun dun.
   We had stake conference this weekend. Saturday was a normal stake adult session, but Sunday was a regional broadcast to all German speaking countries. Elder Bednar and Elder Hales both spoke. The best part was that Elder Bednar gave his talk in German. He served a mission in Germany forty-one years ago. His German was amazing for forty-one years of not speaking it regularly. Small moment of German pride.
   I have actually only been in Lübeck for most of the days this week. I was in Kiel on an exchange one of the other days. That was fun. Saw the ocean. Not that it is not just right there in our area.
   Love you all,
Elder Perez

No comments:

Post a Comment