German dates have the day, month, then year. It is just how it is.
This week was fairly uneventful as far as stories that I think everyone will like. We went to a lot of appointments. We are staying fairly busy, so that is always good. It is now really cold. Thank goodness for thermals, gloves, sweater, suit jacket, coat, and scarf. They work together rather nicely, although they weigh a good ten pounds.
Elder Davis and I tried to make gingerbread during our weekly planning session. Germany has a lot of different kinds of gingerbread. We were not sure where to find the good kind that we had at an investigators house. So we texted our wonderful ward mission leader for a recipe. He found one on the Internet. We tried it. It was frankly dissapointing. More updates as we try again.
I forgot my adapter, but I did not take that many pictures this week. However, there is one that I wanted to share, but I can do that next week. There is a story that goes along with it, but without the picture it does not make much sense.
It is getting more and more difficult to type emails in English. If one of these day, I decide that I do not want to try to make one in English, I apologize in advance. Google translate is generally good enough that you are able to understand the general idea. Although it can be pretty awful.
Transfer calls come in at the end of the week. I will probably stay here in Leest, but you never know. I hope that I stay here because I have really grown to like the area that we work in. I have even figured out how to navigate. (Incredibly difficult in Germany. No grid system. Streets go whereever they happen to have been built however many years ago.
One thing that is interesting, is I am starting to realize what kind of accents people have when I talk to them. Half of our branch has some form of Berlinerisch. If you ever think of German as an ugly language, Berlinerisch is what you are thinking of. Ick. (It is a pun. Ick-gross, Ick-how Berliners prounounce ich.)
Speaking of the art of the pun, at our lunch appointment on Sunday, Christian, one of our investigators, was telling his mother-in-law that one of the family members was coming in. He said, "Ines ist doch da.", which basically means she is there. Then for our sakes, he annuncitated. "Ich meine doch-da nicht ein doch-tah." (doctor, the English word, German-like). It was a wonderful German-English pun, just for us.
I hope that everyone is doing well.
sincerely,
Elder Perez
No comments:
Post a Comment